Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Scandalous Data. Dead Black Teens. Is It Time for Policing Police's Bias?

By Isabel M. Estrada-Portales, PhD, M.S.


I'm sure I'm imagining the racial disparity. I was taken aback by the excellent research from ProPublica, but, despite being more than marginally aware of the data, and of admiring the work ProPublica does, I must confess I had to do a close reading of the data more than once, and kept checking to see where the typo was.
Nope. No typo. This is the data, unbelievable and dumbfounding as it is. 
Do read the article.
Listen to the podcast.  
I'm just blogging a data point or two: 
  1. Young black males age 15-19 are 21 times greater risk of being shot dead by police than their white counterparts.
  2. The 1,217 deadly police shootings from 2010 to 2012 captured in the federal data show that blacks, age 15 to 19, were killed at a rate of 31.17 per million, while just 1.47 per million white males in that age range died at the hands of police.
  3. To even out the risk, 185 white teens would have had to be killed by the police over the same period: more than one per week.

Post a Comment